Digging from vinyl bins all around the globe the beat making dynamic duo of Paces Lift & Ben Bounce go deep into the vast world of psych and tropical grooves on their sophomore release Tropikoro. Give the standout tracks “Telephone”, “The Marketplace” and “The Great Phantasmo” a spin below for a taste of Tropikoro’s radness.
20. Thee Oh Sees – An Odd Entrances [castle face]
19. Thee Oh Sees – A Weird Exits [castle face]
18. Rocket Reducers – S/T [dead beat]
17. Kate Tempest – Let Them Eat Chaos [lex]
16. ORB – Birth [castle face]
15. OHIOAN – EMPTY / EVERY MT [gold robot]
14. A Tribe Called Quest – We Got It From Here… Thank You 4 Your Service [epic]
13. Nap Eyes – Thought Rock Fish Scale [paradise of bachelors]
12. Natural Child – Okey Dokey [natural child records]
11. Kevin Morby – Singing Saw [dead oceans]
10. Newstalgia – The Formula [producers i know]
9. Ultimate Painting – Dusk [trouble in mind]
8. Omni – Deluxe [trouble in mind]
7. King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard – Nonagon Infinity [ato]
6. RUMTUM – Mora Tuga [wax thématique]
5. Monster Rally – Mystery Cove [gold robot]
4. David Bowie – Blackstar [columbia]
3. Doug Tuttle – It Calls On Me [trouble in mind]
2. Woods – City Sun Eater In The River of Light [woodsist]
1. Conveyor – Ready Not Ready [gold robot]
Mora Tuga is the imaginary world that RUMTUM (sometimes known as John Hastings) created through drawings as a kid. A graphic novel that he wasn’t able to finish as a kid has now been completed through his new LP of the same name. Like RUMTUM’s drawings and illustrations, his music is created very much in the same way, as layers upon layers of guitars, percussion, synths and more play and bounce off of each other with precise intent.
Mora Tuga is clearly a labor of love. I highly recommend getting lost in it. Give “Hemispheres” (below) a spin – it’s a perfect peek into the world that RUMTUM has created.
Mora Tuga is available now on vinyl through the fabulous Wax Thématique Records – you’d be a fool not to get a copy of this on vinyl. If vinyl is not your thing you can get it digitally from RUMTUM’s Bandcamp page. Please enjoy.
RUMTUM – Hemispheres from Mora Tuga (2016)
After a 30 day “one beat from both of us everyday” challenge Seattle’s Paces Lift and St. Louis’ Ben Bounce created the framework for their new collaboration LP, Quick Trigger. Two years of mixing and fine tuning, their masterpiece Quick Trigger was ready for consumption. The result is fourteen lo-fi, psychedelic, beat driven tracks sprinkled with bits of spaghetti western and old vinyl crackle. It’s a solid release which has quickly risen to the top of my albums of the year list.
Quick Trigger is available now on killer looking “ox blood” vinyl with cover art done by none other than Ted Feighan (aka Monster Rally) from Wax Thématique. It’s also streaming and downloadable from Paces Lift’s Bandcamp page. Feast your ears on some of Quick Trigger‘s goodness below. Enjoy!
Paces Lift & Ben Bounce – Clot (Beerline) from Quick Trigger (2014)
Paces Lift & Ben Bounce – Delusions of Farley Granger from Quick Trigger (2014)